I have nearly a decade of professional experience in web design/ development and over 6 years experience doing usability and accessibility consulting for some of the largest E-commerce & software companies in the world as well as some of the largest US Federal agencies. I come to the table with the knowledge and experience necessary to handle everything from consultation to remediation and training and more. Don’t take my word for it, see my kudos from others.
- Zend Certified Engineer: August 2009
- Master CIW Designer: August 2003
- IRS Staff-like access and Sensitive But Unclassified (SBU) Clearance
A wide array of skills in web development including back-end development of database driven websites and web-based applications, front-end production, QA, web project management and Search Engine Optimization.
Extensive knowledge of and professional experience working in web usability and accessibility including technical and legal conformance with Section 508 of the Rehabilitation Act, Americans with Disabilities Act, UK DDA, AU DDA, BITV, and more.
- Operating Systems: Windows, Mac, Linux, iOS, Android
- Assistive Technologies: JAWS, WindowEyes, ZoomText, VoiceOver, Dragon Naturally Speaking
- Misc: Apache Server, MySQL Server Administration
The Paciello Group – Senior Technical Lead Accessibility Software Consultant & Director of Training – July 2013 – Present
- Responsible for design and delivery of training for all clients on the topics of web accessibility, web standards, accessible application development, and accessibility testing
Simply Accessible – September 2012 – July 2013
- Performed accessibility consulting including audits and training for a broad array of US and Canadian private and public sector clients
- Played an integral role in process and methodology improvements relating to auditing client systems
Deque Systems – Director of Training – July 2010 – September 2012
- Design & deliver all training for clients on the topics of accessibility and the use of Deque Systems’ Worldspace
- Perform consulting for government and large private sector clients
SSB BART Group – Director of Product Development and Strategic Planning – January 2009 – July 2010
- Played critical role in the development of the company’s flagship product, AMP, including interface design and specification development. Responsible for 338 current and upcoming features in the product.
- Spearheaded the release to market of SSB’s AMP Express, a free online automated accessibility testing service.
- Managed all marketing and e-marketing activities for the company including hard and soft marketing material, press releases, web materials, e-mail list, and more
- Developed and delivered all demo materials for the company’s products, AMP and InFocus
- Developed and managed the company’s technical support process
- Coordinated, participated in, and presented at usability and accessibility related events on behalf of the company
- Trained client services and sales staff on the company products
SSB BART Group – Senior Accessibility Consultant – October 2007 – January 2009
- Manage the delivery of SSB assessment projects utilizing SSB’s Unified Audit Methodology.
- Performed Accessibility Audits and consulting for an array of client including: BMC Software, Lockheed Martin, Royal Bank of Canada, Monster Government Solutions, Adobe, and more.
- Played critical role in the development of the company’s flagship product, AMP, including: Interface design, additions to and improvements of Best Practices and content, and the development of DCQL tests for automated checks by InFocus.
- Provided long-term consultation to the Internal Revenue Service’s IRAP office in support of dozens of ELC projects.
- Played a critical role in implementing support for WCAG 2.0 within AMP/ InFocus.
User-Centered Design, Inc. – Director of Web Development – April 2004 – October 2007
- Responsible for managing the development of Web sites, intranets, and extranets for an array of clients that includes National Cancer Institute, Aerospace Medical Association, Sprint Nextel, Food & Drug Administration and dozens more.
- Delivered training and workshops relating to accessibility and website/ web application production.
- Performed accessibility review for clients.
- Contributed to expert reviews and in-lab usability studies of client sites.
- Manage personnel and subcontractors working on our projects.
- Developed 7-tiered Accessibility Review & Remediation Process .
NASA Federal Credit Union – E-Commerce Manager – April 2003 – April 2004
- Manage E-Commerce efforts of credit union with over $650,000,000 in assets, including assuring quality of public website, home banking system, and management of third-party solutions.
- Manage online marketing efforts and introduction of new products on the web.
- Developed extranet site for Credit Union Ambassadors to allow member company’s human resource personnel to assist in marketing directly to their fellow employees. This site awarded a CUES Diamond Award For E-Marketing .
- Served on the Procedures Committee, Technology Access Group, and Member Advocacy Group
- Designed & performed small-scale usability studies on the site.
Independent Contractor – November 2001 – present
- Perform production and programming for an array of clients both large and small, often on a sub-contract basis for other web development companies.
Previous Work History
Previous work history (unrelated to Web Development) is available upon request, to demonstrate my experience in personnel and project management.
- Usability Professionals’ Association (UPA)
- Society for Technical Communication (STC) , AccessAbility SIG, Usability SIG
- International Webmasters Association (IWA)
- Internet Society (ISOC)
- Association for Computing Machinery (ACM), SIG CHI
- Professional Reference: Sharron Rush, Knowbility. Phone 512.305.0310; Email email@example.com
- Professional Reference: Matthew Feldman, Pragmatics, Inc. Email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Other references available on request.
Contact Me:Telephone: +1 410.541.6829
Sign up for my mailing list.
- A11yBuzz (1)
- Accessibility (49)
- Accessibility Business Case (18)
- Accessibility Testing (21)
- Agile (1)
- Agile Accessibility (8)
- AQUA (2)
- BotSmasher (1)
- Compliance (6)
- CSUN11 (1)
- CSUN13 (1)
- Development (1)
- HTML5 (3)
- Managing Accessibility (37)
- Me Saying Unpopular Things (23)
- Personal (7)
- Politics (1)
- Presentations (3)
- Professional (3)
- Section 508 (3)
- Security (3)
- Selling Accessibility (10)
- Uncategorized (8)
- usability (2)
- WAI-ARIA (3)
Top Posts & Pages
- Links are not buttons. Neither are DIVs and SPANs
- "Weird" people need to stop whining
- CAPTCHA-less Security
- Choosing an Automated Accessibility Testing Tool: 13 Questions you should ask
- List of Resources: Breaking CAPTCHA
- Web Accessibility Testing: What Can be Tested and How
- CSS generated content is not content
- Web Accessibility Testing: Do Automatic Testing First
- List of Web Accessibility-Related Litigation and Settlements
- Understanding WCAG Level